Saturday, March 13, 2010

"I'm more spiritual than religious": The Return to FernGully


I often sat on the stone covered bench in the garden outside my house at the age of 13, or maybe I was 14. Either way, I was probably a little too old to be sitting around in fairyland, pretending to be in a rainforest. When no one was watching, I would make my way to the alcove in the woods where I would sit on the ground and allow the curtain of leaves to engulf my body. I remember the perfection of the leaves and how they made it possible for me to hide from those who would ridicule me for pretending. Directly in front of me was the living room whose walls were not entirely perpendicular to the ground. The wall of leaves casually met the ground without any regard to symmetry or adherence to architectural standards. There could be a sarcastic, gaping hole that would permit weather, both good and bad, to enter at will. Most of the time, it would be sunshine peeking through, contributing a sweet fragrance to the moistened iridescent leaves. In my living room, the people had no character flaws; they never spoke at all, for that matter. But their presence would often remind me of the laundry that needed to be folded in the next room. The laundry here was invisible, along with the dirty dishes and the laughter of close family.

I don’t remember what I was trying to escape. Perhaps the desire to escape family is only natural for adolescents, but I do know that I longed for a place with no rules, no order, and no noise. I was indeed in search of a great abyss, a place of nothingness, a place where I could enjoy the serenity of isolation.

Oftentimes Christians find themselves in this same desperate state, a state where they become disillusioned by some of the tragedies that lie in the Church, and they begin to search for their great abyss.

A few years ago, I heard Jennifer Lopez’s character in the movie Monster-In-Law say, “I’m more spiritual than religious” when giving her rationale as to why she didn’t want to be married in a church. Since then I’ve heard this statement a number of times, usually from a celebrity who’s tired of “religion as usual.” But I’ve noticed that it has become trendy and hip to denounce one’s religion (while sipping on a cappuccino) in order to embrace the abyss of spirituality. When people denounce their religion in order to seek spirituality, one of two things has happened: Either they have been really hurt by a person or organization within the Church or they’re tired of all of the rules and protocol that is associated with the Church. Many feel that if they claim to be spiritual instead of religious that they rid themselves of any obligations or duties.

This new spiritual lifestyle sounds appealing, especially when many churches are littered with hypocrisy and political protocol. It’s easy to embrace the trend of spirituality when the pastor of your church is oblivious to social injustices or when the Church is more concerned with selling peanut brittle than with feeding the homeless people on the church steps.

In the midst of this unsettling reality of the Church, it’s tempting to be charmed by the current trends that bombard us in the media. It seems that anyone with a voice is proclaiming, “I’m more spiritual than religious.”

The problem with this practice is that it is quite deceptive. It is a notion that a person can embrace a lifestyle that is devoid of rules, regulations, hypocrites, Pharisaical maniacs, and traditions. Although this is the case for a while, that great abyss of nothingness lasts only for a season. By nature we need rules, consistency, and stability; and eventually, we will be searching for something to bring us those things.

When I was a kid playing in the woods, although I was trying to escape the responsibility, the pain, the rules, the obligations, I sought for yet another household to fill that void. I tried for a while to sit in my alcove and allow nothingness to fill my mind with peace. Instead, I found myself turning my space into a house, imagining my own living room, bedrooms, and family. After a period of time, I could no longer sit in woods and think of nothing. I had to fill my mind with something.

If we choose to leave the Church and embrace a “spiritual” lifestyle, we are not headed to a place devoid of the negativities of the Church. Instead, we are headed to a blank slate, a fairyland that is vulnerable to the lies and deception of the enemy. Once our minds become bored with the abyss, we will begin to accept ideas that do not align with the Bible and begin to build things in our lives that aren’t even real. We will create an invisible living room with invisible people who are reminding you to wash the invisible load of laundry.

It is important to seek truth wholeheartedly and seek to change the face of religion by creating a climate in your own house of worship or meeting place that is socially conscious, nonjudgmental, and open-minded, as opposed to running from a religion that could serve as the doctrinally sound source of your livelihood.

No longer should anyone view spirituality as an escape from religion. Since when have the terms been mutually exclusive? I've had more spiritual experiences when I've embraced my core belief system than when I have allowed myself to become cynically detached from them.

7 comments:

Alicia Enloe said...

Alicia has now become a fan of susanhicholesmith.com.

Fabulous point and point well-made. Appealing writing style. Heartfelt concepts. I especially noticed that you have noticed "social injustices." I think these are my pet peeves in religion. I feel it is inexcusable for a person in leadership to be ignorant of social justice. However, it is true that we need rules and boundaries... This piece truly spoke to me... Thanks, Nichole...:)

Jonathan Foster said...

Nichole, I admire your integrity in writing. I also think that this post is very well written. While I disagree with some of what you wrote, I have to say that you make several very good points. (BTW, I LOVED the 'Fern Gully' reference - as one of the few of my friends who actually saw and loved the movie). Specifically the points of being hurt by someone within a religious group; and/or pastor/leaders who are completely unconcerned with social injustices. I think the answer falls somewhere in the area of communication - or the lack thereof. Anything that cannot be talked about is always a problem - no matter what group one is a part of.

Concerning social injustices, I would recommend looking into the 'Emergent Church' movement (or more postmodern faith groups) Some authors I highly recommend are: Brian McLaren, Rob Bell, and, of course, Donald Miller.

These are some who have left traditional ways of 'doing church' and have embraced a more open minded way of experiencing God without leaving 'the Church'.

Once again, kudos to you for expressing your soul in writing - keep up the good work.

Nichole Smith said...

Thanks, Alicia. You're too kind. There is so much more that we could be doing.

Jonathan, I love Donald Miller. I've read all of his books, with the exception of To Own a Dragon. I've heard of some of the other people but haven't read any of their books yet. This article is definitely not anti-emergent, as it may sound, as the emergent movement is still a Christian movement. But this article is pointed more toward religions such as scientology, buddhism, or any other religion that celebrity hipsters are trying to charm their followers with. My argument is that these things are still religions. They're not just something "spiritual," as many believe.

Susan Isaacs said...

Great points. One pastor called it "spirituality without accountability." I think that's what we want: all the glory but not the guts. I recently listened to an interview with actress and forward-style maven Chloe Sevigny on "Fresh Air." Terri Gross asked Chloe about her Catholoic upbrining. to my delight, Sevigny said she's gone back to church. She was doing a play that was very dark, her character practiced the occult, and the play left her feeling unhinged. So she found solace in church. Hey whatever gets you there. Thanks to Chloe for the shout-out. And thanks for this blog post!

Judybee said...

Hi, Nichole,
I think I hear you on this one. Is your point that the current hip catch phrase "spirituality" does not replace the very real need for the church that defines our lives and makes life matter? If so, I can relate 100%.

A few years ago, I became very disenchanted with my denomination and the dogma of "one right way," with that right way not even being Jesus Christ, but the interpretation that a particular denominational "way" is superior than God or his orginal way (if there is such a thing). The hypocrisy was distasteful, but that alone isn't the reason why I left my former church. I found that if I really wanted to pursue a closer walk with God, I couldn't gain anything from the hypocrites who had no walk. They had a great Sunday morning "talk," but very little fruit and substance.

I also learned that although religion might be defined by man-made denomination, God is not. I chose to move to a more "ritualistic" form of gathering, realizing the looks of disapproval I would get from many of my friends from the "other" side. I got looks, distance, and most hurtful of all, comments about my impending descent to Hell.

I found it funny that when we don't keep our eyes on God and the spirituality that really matters (our lifelong growth as Christians), we can easily sink into the abyss of man-made religion, which usualy takes a denominational form, because we are, after all, mere men and women.

My move to another church home has taught me much about forgiveness, about acceptance, about true discipleship, and about my imperfect walk with God. I feel that now "out of the closet," people see my sin nature more visibly, but the good news is that I know I never fooled God in the first place.

Thanks for your look into the heart of spirituality. :)

Nichole Smith said...

A lot of very good points, Judy.

Your question: "Is your point that the current hip catch phrase "spirituality" does not replace the very real need for the church that defines our lives and makes life matter?"

Yes, that is essentially what I'm saying. So many people leave the Church and embrace "spirituality." Their motives might be okay, but to seek after spirituality alone is a dangerous thing because there's no adherence to Biblical law in that territory. The Bible does have a lot of gray areas, but some are absolute, such as the basic outline of Christianity (in my opinion). The Bible does not support the beliefs of people like Oprah--not to be judgmental--but she is influencing a LOT of people in the wrong direction. The problem with the abyss of spirituality is that it leaves you vulnerable to the bull crap that's out there. I think it's important to be grounded in doctrine and faith, whether it's Baptist, Methodist, or whatever. I don't believe there's one religion that's going to heaven, but I do believe that most Christian religions teach the same basic principles. I think that it's important not to leave these principles.

With that said, if a person has a problem with a particular "church," then he/she should leave that church, not the Christian religion.

Yes, lots of pastors and church members are bone heads. That's why I think it's really important to find a church and pastor that you can agree with.

TrishBonner said...

Nicole, I don't know if you remember, but when we were in grad school, Kevin and I were in the process of "changing our religion." We were disenchanted with our childhood denomination because of several things that were said, attitudes, and hypocrisy. For years I struggled to find solace in different churches while Kevin completely abandoned church-going altogether. We, each in our own way, sought to fill the void. It was not until we returned to church together, in a denomination we agreed upon together, did we fill the void in our lives. We hadn't changed our view of life and God, but we needed the support of weekly services. Our denomination is not perfect,neither are its leaders, but I've learned to ignore the bad and embrace the good. Your blog reminded me of that journey.